Remote Desktop for Mac
Posted by Daniel Caldwell on 22 September 2014 03:21 PM
- You will need your workstation's "computer name." Find it by following the steps listed here: Find Your Computer Name
Installation and Configuration of Microsoft Remote Desktop
Follow these steps to get started with Remote Desktop on your Mac:
- Download and install the Microsoft Remote Desktop client from the Mac App Store.
- Once done, launch the app and click the ‘+’ button at the top of the Microsoft Remote Desktop window.
- Select Desktop from the dropdown menu and enter all the details like the PC name or IP address which you had noted earlier.
- Enter your credentials like username, the password for your PC to set remote connection. These fields are mandatory as you will need them to log in to PC through the remote connection.
- Once done click Add button.
- You can also customize how you want the remote desktop to display your machine by making changes to the personal preferences in Settings like colors, screen modes, and resolution.
- To save the list, click the red button at the top of the window.
- Now select your username under My Desktops and click Start at the top of the window to start the remote connection.
- You will be prompted to save the security certificate of the Windows computer, click on “Show Certificate” button to expand the dialog, then check to be box to “Always trust” it.
- Click Continue in the verify certificate pop up window.
- Once done, you will be able to view your Windows PC will be displayed in full screen on your Mac.
- To make any changes to the connection, click Edit at the top of the Microsoft Remote Desktop window.
- To change the preferences or add the gateway, click Preferences at the top of the Microsoft Remote Desktop window.
IF you receive this following error message, please verify that
- your Global Protect VPN connection is still active,
- your PC’s name is correct – you should submit a OR Help Desk ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to get help with verifying the computer name, and
- your user account is added to the ‘Remote Desktop Users’ security group on the campus PC – the OR Help Desk can also help you confirm this.