CMIF offers the use of its instruments and equipment to both internal Ohio State users, and external users. Learn more about our instrument reservation process below.
How to Become a User of CMIF Facilities
Internal Users (affiliated with Ohio State)
- Open a web browser and go to https://fom.osu.edu.
- Sign in with your Ohio State username and password.
- Click Click here to continue.
- You will be prompted to either select Internal (an individual affiliated with Ohio State) or External (an individual who is not currently affiliated with Ohio State).
- Complete the FOM New User Registration form (some of your information may already be populated).
- If your department and/or supervisor is not listed, click My department is not listed or My supervisor is not listed here to open a form to request they be added.
In order to set up your funding account for approval to reserve Campus Microscopy and Imaging Facility (CMIF) instruments, you must first submit a Requisition for approval in Workday
- View How to Create a Requisition in Workday that will be used in FOM (https://go.osu.edu/fomrequisition) for more information.
- CMIF is listed as an Internal Supplier do not select Microscopy Shared Resource (MSR) for CMIF, instead use supplier CMIF - Campus Microscopy Imaging Facility for Microscopy Shared Resource
- If you do not know your worktags to create a Requisition please contact your advisor/Principal Investigator (PI) or Fiscal Officer.
- Note: Anyone is able to create Workday Requisitions for other group members by changing the "requester name" while creating a requisition. Ensure that you have chosen the correct requester. The requester is the person who will actually use the CMIF services.
Add Funding Information to FOM
- Once you create a Requisition and it is approved in Workday, In FOM add a Research description name and the Workday Requisition Number (example: RQ-100000070) and click Add this account.
- You should receive a success message if it was added. If not, an error message will be displayed. If you get an error, it is likely due to the requisition not being fully approved – check-in Workday for the status. The status has to be successfully completed before you can add it to your FOM account.
- After setting up your FOM user account and adding your Requisition, you will then be able to request instrument training.
- The CMIF Instrument Manager(s) will schedule your training appointments.
- Once you have been successfully trained, the Instrument Manager will give you scheduling access in FOM.
External Users (not affiliated with Ohio State)
- External users will fill out a sponsored guest request form https://go.osu.edu/fomguest
- Data will not be released until a PO is received
- Sponsored guest account requests will go through an internal approval process. Once the request goes through initial internal approvals, you will receive an automated message from the IT Service Desk asking you to do a final check and approval of your account information. Contact FOMemail@example.com if you need assistance.
- Once the sponsored guest account is fully approved, an admin will add your information into FOM to create your account.
- Once your account has been added into FOM, you will get a confirmation email containing the rate website (https://cmif.osu.edu/Our-Lab-Rates) and directions on how to submit a service request. Please note that the rate table lists university internal rates. External rates have a different rate structure. Contact us for a fee quotation.
Request Instrument Training
Training is required prior to facility access will be granted.
- Log into FOM https://fom.osu.edu
- On the left side menu, click User Home.
- Expand the Resources in this facility and click on the instrument name that you would like to be trained on in CMIF.
- You may see a user agreement message.
- Click and read the agreement.
- Click I have read the policy and agree with its content in order to proceed with requesting instrument training.
- In the box that appears, answer the question(s) and click Apply.
- This message will be sent to the Instrument Manager(s). The manager will contact you to schedule training for the instrument and book the required instrument time.
- Once you have been fully trained and cleared by the Instrument Manager(s), you will see the instrument name listed on the left side of the User Home page.
- By clicking on the link, it will open the calendar for the instrument.
- Additionally, your current access and instrument availability is listed as well.
Reserving Instrument Time
- On the l menu, click User Home.
- Under Authorized Instruments, click on the link of the equipment you would like to reserve.
- The calendar will appear showing availability. Click on the day and time on which you would like to reserve.
- Select the requisition you want to use for the session.
- Select the start and end time for the reservation.
- If you will require Instrument Manager assistance, select the Manager assistance needed box. If you select this box, contact the Instrument Manager to ensure he/she is available during that time.
- Click Reserve. Note: the Comment box comments are not always viewed by CMIF staff. If it is something important, contact CMIF staff.
- You should receive a reminder e-mail before your session.
Cancel or Modify a Reservation
CMIF allows users to cancel reservations online up to 24 hours before the reservation time without penalty.
- To cancel or modify a reserved session, click on the reserved time.
- Click Cancel reservation or Modify reservation.
- If a user must cancel their signed microscope time within 24 hours before the appointment they must contact the CMIF staff with the reason for the late notice. Failure to do so may result in a charge for the scheduled time.
- Users who are more than 15 minutes late may forfeit the reservation time if another user is waiting and may be charged for the time.
- More information regarding CMIF instrumentation policies.
Submitting a Service Request
- Log into https://fom.osu.edu
- Click on the Collaborate and Service link on the left-hand side of the web page.
- Look for the Request New Service list at the top of the page. Here you will open up the drop-down menu and select CMIF Service Request (either internal or external).
- From there you will be prompted to fill out and submit a Service Request Form.
Logging In or Out of Your Reservation
- You will be automatically logged in at the start of your scheduled reservation time.
- If you did not have a scheduled instrument time and wish to use the instrument, you may express log on by clicking Click to log on.
- FOM will log you out automatically at the end of your scheduled time. Your account will be charged for the full scheduled time.
- To log out manually Click your reservation.
- If you want to report a problem with the instrument, select the Something Wrong box and leave a comment.
- Select the account # you want to use for the reservation.
- Click the Logoff button.
- Copy your data at workstations (not at the microscope computer).
- On the left side menu, click User Home.
- Click User Report.
- Choose the facility.
- Set the start and end date.
- Click Submit.