All of the university’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) operations are available online – providing you with an electronic method for submitting and monitoring the status of IACUC and IBC protocols.
• Streamlines the data entry process
• Provides real-time feedback on the status of reviews
• Incorporates amendments directly into protocols once approved
• Delivers notifications when deadlines are approaching
• Tracks the status of required training for study team members
• Allows direct management of study team personnel on protocols (addition or removal of team members)
• Provides study team members with 24/7 web access
- Supports online submission, review and management of animal protocol information submitted to the IACUC.
- Supports online animal ordering, animal census monitoring and tracking of animal expenses for animals housed in University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) facilities.
- Supports online submission, review and management of biosafety protocol information submitted to the IBC.
Access e-Protocol at eprotocol.osu.edu. Use your Ohio State username and password to log in.
- Note: If you do not have an Ohio State username and password, contact the Office of Research (OR) Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-688-8288.
If you have forgotten your password or it has expired, visit my.osu.edu.
Because all system communications are delivered via email, it is essential that you keep your profile information up-to-date, particularly your contact email address.
- Note: Your system profile can be updated at any time at go.osu.edu/orregister or by clicking your name in the upper right-hand corner of any e-Protocol workspace.
TECHNICAL ISSUES:email@example.com or 614-688-8288
IACUC SUPPORT: IACUCinfo@osu.edu or 614-292-4494
IBC SUPPORT: IBCinfo@osu.edu or 614-292-1159
ULAR SUPPORT: firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-292-0272
General System Navigation:
1. Upon logging in to eProtocol, you are presented with three main tabs.
• Home: click to view current system messages and for links to user support and related resources
• e-IACUC: click to view a listing of all your active and archived animal studies
• e-IBC: click to view a listing of all your active and archived biosafety studies
2. On most pages within e-Protocol, there are several menu items available in the upper right-hand corner.
• Your Name: click to view and update your e-Protocol contact information
• My Workspace: click to view your personal submission management workspace, including the ‘My Inbox’ tab that displays all submissions requiring your action
• Study Team Lookup: click to lookup and view the current compliance and study information of anyone on your study team.
3. Under the e-IACUC and e-IBC tabs, a listing of your existing studies are organized by ‘All’, ‘In Progress’, ‘Approved’ and ‘Archived’. The menu on the left includes a button to create a new study.
4. On the e-IACUC or e-IBC tab, you can click the label above each column to sort the listing of your submissions.
Submission Workspace Navigation:
1. In e-Protocol, each submission (protocol, amendment, annual review) has its own “workspace”. Each workspace displays the submission’s summary information, activity history, and its current state in the review process. The workspace is also the location you can access a submission form to make edits, submit a submission for review, and perform many other submission specific activities.
- Current State: the gray box displays the submission’s current status in the review process
- Action Buttons: these large buttons are used to perform several main actions on the submission. The top button will always be the method to either edit or view the submission form, depending on its state.
- My Activities: lists all actions available to you for the submission in its current state
- Information Summary Tables: displays several pieces of important submission related information
- Workspace Tabs: each submission workspace has a number of tabs below the information summary tables. The default is the action history tab, however several other tabs may be available.
Submission Form Navigation:
1. Within a submission form, any item that is marked with a red asterisk indicates that a response is required before the submission can be forwarded for review.
2. There is an action menu and ‘Continue’ button located at the top and bottom of each page.
• Save: click to save all work on the current page
• Exit: click to exit to the submission workspace. You will be prompted to save your work.
• Hide/Show Errors: click to open a listing of all items still requiring a response and links to ‘Jump To’ the appropriate page. The errors will drop off the list as you resolve them.
• Print: click to create a printable copy of the current page
• Jump To: make a selection from the drop down menu to move to other available sections of the submission form
• Continue: click to save all work on the current page and move to the next section. You will be notified if any required items have been left without a response